---a novel of lifelong love set on Cape Cod among the Provincetown artists' colony people, starting in the 1940's.
For the Time Being, 1999
Photo by Phyllis Rose
I can no longer travel, can't meet with strangers, can't sign books but will sign labels with SASE, can't write by request, and can't answer letters. I've got to read and concentrate. Why? Beats me.
Please don't use Wikipedia. It is unreliable; anyone can post anything, no matter how wrong. For example, an article by Mary Cantwell misquotes me wildly. The teacher in me says, "The way to learn about a writer is to read the text. Or texts."
Here is some information for scholars. (I’ve posted this web-page in defense; a crook bought the name and printed dirty pictures, then offered to sell it to me. I bit. In the course of that I learned the web is full of misinformation. This is a corrective.)
Here is a short list of the books I've written and edited.
- Tickets for a Prayer Wheel (1974) (poems)
- Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (1974) (nonfiction narrative)
- Holy the Firm (1977) (nonfiction narrative)
- Living by Fiction (1982) (non-fiction narrative)
- Teaching a Stone to Talk (1982) (narrative essays)
- Encounters with Chinese Writers (1984) (nonfiction narrative)
- An American Childhood (1987) (memoir)
- The Writing Life (1989) (non-fiction narrative)
- The Living (1992) (novel)
- Mornings Like This (1995) (poems)
- For the Time Being (1999) (non-fiction narrative)
- The Maytrees (2007) (fiction)
- The Abundance (2016) (some selected essays, with "This is the Life.")