---a SHORT novel of lifelong love in marriage,
Forthcoming → The Abundance, March 2016, Ecco Press
Photo by Phyllis Rose
I'm sorry. I've never promoted myself or my books, but I used to give two public readings a year.
Now I can no longer travel, can't meet with strangers, can't sign books but will sign labels with SASE, can't write by request, and can't answer letters. I've got to read and concentrate. Why? Beats me.
Please don't use Wikipedia. It is unreliable; anyone can post anything, no matter how wrong. For example, an article by Mary Cantwell misquotes me wildly. The teacher in me says, "The way to learn about a writer is to read the text. Or texts."
Here is some information for scholars. (I’ve posted this web-page in defense; a crook bought the name and printed dirty pictures, then offered to sell it to me. I bit. In the course of that I learned the web is full of misinformation. This is a corrective.)
Here is a short list of the books I've written and edited.
- Tickets for a Prayer Wheel (1974) (poems)
- Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (1974) (nonfiction narrative)
- Holy the Firm (1977) (nonfiction narrative)
- Living by Fiction (1982) (non-fiction narrative)
- Teaching a Stone to Talk (1982) (narrative essays)
- Encounters with Chinese Writers (1984) (nonfiction narrative)
- An American Childhood (1987) (memoir)
- The Writing Life (1989) (non-fiction narrative)
- The Living (1992) (novel)
- Mornings Like This (1995) (poems)
- For the Time Being (1999) (non-fiction narrative)
- The Maytrees (2007) (fiction)